Crowds at the upcoming Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games have been capped at 50%, up to a maximum of 10,000 people at all venues, it has been confirmed.
Spectators attending the games will be asked to refrain from shouting or even talking loudly, and to travel directly to the venue and return home immediately afterwards to prevent the spread of the virus.
Nonetheless, they are unlikely to be asked to prove they are negative for COVID-19, or fully vaccinated.
The limits have been set line with Japanese government criteria for other sports events in the country, but will not include individuals connected to Games sponsors or International Olympic Committee (IOC) delegates, who will be classed as organisers and therefore not counted within the cap.
In addition, children involved in a schools programme aimed at ensuring the younger generation experience the Games are also exempt from the cap.
“We acknowledge that there is uncertainty around the pandemic so we need to be flexible,” remarked Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee President, Seiko Hashimoto, via an interpreter.
“If there is any abrupt change in the situation, we will be holding a five-party meeting to make decisions.
“If there’s an announcement of a state of emergency, all options will be examined by the stakeholders.”
He continued: “We want the next generation to experience the excitement and emotion of the Games.
“People still talk about what they saw at the first Tokyo Olympics [in 1964], that’s how memorable this event is, and we wanted to offer the same experience to the younger children.”
Last week, it was reported that the Japanese government would allow up to 10,000 spectators as the country begins to lift the ‘states of emergency’ in nine out of 10 of the prefectures.
“We are looking into many different perspectives but requiring spectators to bring proof of negativity would be problematic,” said Hashimoto.
“At this point in time we are not expecting them to bring any such certificate.”
The President and Chief Executive of the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee faced the media on Monday to provide details on the spectator plan, after Japan’s top coronavirus adviser told them on Friday that the best way to limit the risk of infections was to hold the Games behind closed doors.