As debate over Brazilian sports betting rumbles on, CBF, the Football Confederation of Brazil, has told the government to guarantee a larger % share of revenues. 

The fees will be spread across the football leagues in Brazil as sports betting is expanded in the region. 

The steps are likely to clash with the plans of the Ministry of Finance, which is currently tasked with redrafting Brazil’s sports betting regime for another attempt at a federal sign-off.

The CBF submitted a request to the Ministry of Finance through the Secretariat of Economic Reforms. Secretary-General of the CBF, Alcino Rocha, maintains the association’s demand that bookmakers be taxed for the use of Brazilian football image, media and athlete rights.  

Further politicking saw CBF leadership demand a one-on-one meeting with President Lula Da Silva and Finance Minister Fernando Haddad to resolve outstanding issues on the launch of a sports betting regime.

Minister Haddad had pledged to present a definitive tax framework for sports betting to Da Silva, who is expected to sign to restart the regime’s regulatory process upon his return from a postponed trip to China in late March.

Under the current law, operators would receive 95% of the remaining net profits after deductions for prize payments, social security fees, and income tax on prizes.

Despite having met with football clubs, there is no consensus between the CBF and the clubs regarding the distribution of revenues and participation in negotiations.

The CBF seeks to keep 20% of the revenue from bets, while the remaining 80% would be divided among the clubs. However, clubs from Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo have expressed concern about the new rules surrounding sports betting in Brazil.

In a joint statement, clubs including Flamengo, Fluminense, Botafogo, Santos, São Paulo, Palmeiras, Corinthians, and Vasco da Gama argue that they should participate directly in legislative debates.

Pro-football clubs have criticised the CBF for providing no platform to discuss policies and reforms related to the launch of the sports betting regime.

The clubs point to outstanding issues, such as fiscal concerns and restrictions on sports betting sponsorships with overseas-based and unlicensed companies, which could potentially affect teams in the Brazilian Serie A and Serie B.

Previous articleDP World Tour chief Pelly ‘delighted’ over LIV court ruling 
Next articleNBA legend Charles Barkley partners with FanDuel to ‘Think Like a Player’